The Monteath Mausoleum
The Monteath Douglas Mausoleum stands on the ancient geological ridge known as Lilliards Edge to the north of the village of Ancrum. Built for himself in 1864 to the exact instructions of General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas, KCB, the monument is well worth a visit for its spectacular setting alone. However, the monument is also remarkable for the two larger than life stone lions that flank the entrance to the crypt, the forty-eight glazed stars in its dome and the two angels at either end of the tomb.
The surrounding area and monument were restored during the latter part of 2018, and the mausoleum was reopened to the public on the 7th July 2019.
On behalf of The Friends of the Monteath Mausoleum, Lothian Estates are now hiring keys out to enable the public to see inside the crypt.
Please visit the office in Bonjedward to hire yours today for a nominal fee. COVID restrictions apply: only 2 keys can be hired per day.